August 15, 2013

Speech at Graduation Ceremony

This is the speech I gave at my Ph.D. graduation ceremony at the University of Washington on June 16, 2013.  There wasn't much of a prompt - I was essentially asked to simply say something inspiring to the students.  I've been passionate about increasing the public's appreciation of science for a while now, so I decided to let loose with some of the thoughts that had been percolating in my head for the past few years...

----

My graduate school story is somewhat unique.  I began working on the Ph.D. I am receiving today more than five years ago at Arizona State University in Tempe, where the temperature as currently around the melting point of lead.  I started working for Jonathan Posner (sitting over there), as an undergraduate way back in 2006, and stayed with him all the way through grad school.  So now, in 2013, my working relationship with my advisor has lasted longer than quite a few marriages do.  But now we're separating amicably.  [to Dr. Posner] I'm sorry...I need to move on.  [his response: "The feeling is mutual."]

Anyway, I wrote my dissertation on tiny metallic wires that propel themselves.  They don’t have any moving parts, they’re just little pieces of metal.  But somehow, they move when you add hydrogen peroxide to the solution.  I saw a lecture about them, and I thought it was interesting that nobody had tried to rigorously understand why they move, and so I investigated, and investigated some more, and after a while it was my project. 

Then, 2 years ago, almost to the day, Dr. Posner told the research group that he was moving to the UW, and he wanted all of us to come with him, and I’m standing here, so I guess you know my answer.  I was excited to move to the Northwest and study here at UW, and I’ve enjoyed taking courses in our lovely ME department, as well as expanding my scope by taking courses in applied math.  With a patient and understanding girlfriend back in Phoenix, it was a tough decision, but I’m glad I made the move.

But now it’s over.  And here we all are.  We did it.  Today I’m asking myself the same question I’m sure many of you are: why did I do this?  Was this worth it?  How have I evolved as a person since I started school?  I can’t speak for all of you, but I would argue that one of the biggest things, if not the biggest thing, that I got out of grad school was what happened outside of the lab.  Let me tell you a story.

Right as I was beginning graduate school, I first heard about a guy named Brian Greene, who is a theoretical physicist at Columbia University.  He wrote a book about his own specialty, string theory, for the general public called The Elegant Universe.  I didn’t know too much about string theory, only that it was incredibly abstract and mathematical.  And yet Greene managed to make it fun.  He managed to convey the basics of one of the most abstruse theories of particle physics without showing a single equation.  I was captivated, not only as a scientist, but as a person.  At the same time, he was getting ready to launch the inaugural World Science Festival, similar to the Seattle Science Festival that’s just wrapping up.  Long story short, I began reading his other books, watched his TV specials, and I eventually paid for my own plane ticket to fly to New York City to participate in the WSF. 

One of Professor Greene’s main messages, that I have come to agree with over time, is that more and more, science is playing a fundamental role in daily life, and yet the public’s awareness and appreciation of science is not necessarily commensurate with their dependence on it. 

This audience is all too familiar with many of the issues humanity is currently facing: what to do about climate change, alternate energy sources, nuclear proliferation, the consequences of GMO food, the possible future of humanity in space, potential asteroid impacts, treating diseases like tuberculosis and diabetes; what do these have in common?

These issues, at their core, are scientific problems.  They are not political issues or moral issues.  They are scientific.  And as we know, scientific problems demand scientific solutions.  There’s a lot of debate (and hype) swirling around these issues, but oftentimes the science is cast aside, in the periphery of the discussion at best.  But the science is what should inform what we do.  That especially applies to the policymakers who ultimately determine, to a large extent, what we will do.

So what can we, as the latest graduating class in mechanical engineering at the University of Washington, do about these problems?

I would say that the people on the front lines of science and engineering, you and I, should strive to be communicators of what we do.  Now, of course you will communicate as an engineer; it’s a fundamental aspect of the job.  When I say communicate, I don’t just mean sending technical reports to your boss or publishing journal articles.  I mean talking to the public.  And I don’t just mean being willing to talk to the public, I mean actively seeking out opportunities to do so.  It is up to us to make sure what we do is presented effectively and accurately to non-scientists.  I would like to see scientists getting more involved in public life. 

An example: the US House Science Committee currently consists of 40 members.  That includes 14 attorneys, 8 who work in business, 4 physicians, 4 career politicians, 3 educators, 3 real estate executives, 1 rancher and 1 career military officer.  Only Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky, has bachelor’s and master’s degrees in engineering from MIT.  He sits on the Subcommittee on Energy.  But what if we had an atmospheric scientist serving on the Subcommittee on the Environment?  How about a rocket propulsion-trained aerospace engineer on the Subcommittee for Space?

Communicating science to the public isn’t always easy, but it benefits the communicator too.  Even for someone like me, who’s been doing math and science for most of my life, being a communicator has helped me to rediscover the joy and meaning of being a scientist and engineer.  Science is vital to a full life, just as literature, art, music, and theatre are. 

So today, as you celebrate, think about how you could bring your work to a wider audience.  Let’s share what we do with the world.  Let us strive not just to be the best engineers we can, but to be the most effective communicators we can.  Because in doing so, we will become better engineers.

No comments:

Post a Comment